The Office of General Counsel (OGC) directs the legal resources of the OCFO with respect to federal and District appropriations, contracting and procurement, gaming law, tax law, and accounting and financial transactions. The general counsel represents the chief financial officer in litigation and in other legal matters in which the CFO is a party or has legal interest; supervises and manages outside counsel in all legal matters; and assures the legal sufficiency of the OCFO's programs and policies.
- Directs the legislative affairs of the OCFO, communicating with the mayor, DC Council, and Congressional members and committees that oversee the District's government operations and finances.
- Provides legal guidance and advice to the Office of Lottery and Gaming, which operates the DC Lottery/District-operated sports wagering and regulates privately operated sports wagering and charitable gaming in the District.
- Provides legal guidance on a variety of complex matters related to employment, labor relations, ethics, contracts, procurement, and the Freedom of Information Act. Directs the representation of the OCFO in civil litigation matters, administrative hearings and arbitration hearings. Administers the annual financial disclosure program, which includes financial disclosures required by both the OCFO and the Board of Ethics and Government Accountability.
- Provides legal advice to the Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR), as well as District taxpayers. Reviews and recommends District tax legislation and represents OTR in litigating cases before the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) and the Real Property Tax Appeals Commission. Collaborates closely with the Office of Attorney General to defend OTR's tax administration.
Ethics and Integrity
DC Council and Congressional Links
- Council Calendar
- Council Legislative Information System
- Congressional Legislative Information
- House of Representatives Website
- Senate Website
Biographies of Key Staff
General Counsel: David C. Tseng
Assistant General Counsel: Vacant
Associate General Counsel and Ethics Officer: Treva Saunders
Chief Counsel: Alan C. Levine
Chief Counsel for Office of Lottery and Gaming: Ridgely Bennett
Office of the General Counsel
1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20004
Telephone (202) 727-9528