The mission of the Office of Finance and Treasury (OFT) is to efficiently and effectively manage the financial assets and liabilities of the Government of the District of Columbia. This includes receiving, safe-keeping, investing, disbursing, recording and acquiring District financial resources. The core financial assets are cash and equivalents and accounts receivable, and the core financial liabilities are debt and accounts payable. In carrying out this mission, it is essential that OFT provides high quality, customer-friendly service to its internal and external customers (other government agencies and the public).
Office of Finance and Treasury (OFT) – provides management of the financial assets and liabilities of the Government of the District of Columbia. This includes investing, collecting, safe-keeping, disbursing, recording and acquiring District financial resources. The six major areas of operations are as follows:
- Executive Direction and Support: provides leadership, strategic direction, and administrative support services to department managers and employees so that they can achieve organizational and individual performance results.
- Debt and Grants Management: provides for the issuance of bonds, notes, and other financing vehicles for the District so that it can finance capital infrastructure projects and help ensure seasonal cash needs. Manages the cash and accounting of District agencies’ Federal grant draw-downs.
- Cash Management and Investment: provides for the management of the cash resources of the District so that the District can meet its cash obligations and maximize its return on investments.
- Asset Management: provides for the management of the District-run pension plans, college savings plan, and unclaimed property.
- Payment Operations: provides check-printing and disbursement services for District agencies so they can fulfill their payment obligations.
- Treasury Operations: provides revenue collection services, including cashiering at various District sites and provides for the management of banking services for all District agencies.