The mission of the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Greater Economic Opportunity (DMGEO) is to facilitate investment, job creation, workforce development, and entrepreneurship in underserved communities in the District of Columbia.
Summary of Services
While many neighborhoods across the city have experienced population and economic growth, other neighborhoods, especially those east of the Anacostia River, have experienced the opposite: population decrease, disinvestment, and lower median income than even ten years ago.
DMGEO will help the Mayor prioritize, tailor, and coordinate District economic development tools along with various components of government, to spur growth and expand opportunity in District neighborhoods.
In addition to managing and coordinating a cluster of agencies and functions, DMGEO will work across agencies and operational clusters to:
- Develop and advocate for policies and programs to improve the economic opportunities of overlooked communities;
- Engage residents, businesses, anchor institutions, and other community stakeholders in target communities to improve understanding of needs and opportunities;
- Engage and develop anchor institutions and other local assets that will serve as local epicenters of job growth, neighborhood amenities, and investment;
- Develop partnerships and initiatives that strengthen the District’s workforce development system;
- Develop and coordinate interagency initiatives; and
- Identify opportunities for streamlining and aligning programs for the benefit of target communities.