Office of the Chief Financial Officer

DC Agency Top Menu

Cold Emergency -The District's Cold Emergency Plan is currently active.

Learn more about the Cold Emergency Plan.


-A +A
Bookmark and Share

If you are a Tax-Filing Procrastinator, here are Tips on How to File a Late Return

Tuesday, April 11, 2000

WASHINGTON, DC - District taxpayers have until midnight April 17 to file and pay their individual income taxes. For those who are unable to meet this deadline, the District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue offers the following tips for late filers:

  • You must file an extension (Form FR-127) on or before April 17 and pay the amount of tax due.
  • You can obtain this form in your tax booklet, online at www.dccfo.com under "taxpayer services" or at www.washingtondc.gov under "DC Taxes," or by calling the DC Office of Tax and Revenue Forms Center at (202) 442-6546.
  • The District of Columbia government does not accept copies of Federal Extension Application Forms.
  • The penalty for failure to file a return on time or failure to pay any tax due is five percent each month the return is late, but will not exceed 25 percent of the tax due.
  • If you file an extension, you may not use a credit card to pay for your taxes due.
  • Mail the completed form with your payment of any tax due to the Office of Tax and Revenue, Returns Processing Administration, 6th floor, 941 North Capitol Street, NE Washington, DC, 20002. Be sure to sign and date the form. Make the check or money order payable to the DC Treasurer. Please put your social security number on your form. Your check should identify your name, social security number, the tax form (FR-127) and the tax year (1999).
  • Please call (202) 727-4829 (4TAX) with questions.