- Contact the Office of Finance and Treasury's Unclaimed Property Unit by phone at (202) 442-8181 or using the online inquiry form and establish probable ownership of the property.
- The Unclaimed Property Unit will mail you a claim form. Complete and sign the claim form. Be sure to have your signature notarized. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
- Attach all requested documentation to support your claim to ownership and return the signed claim form:
DC Office of Finance and Treasury
Unclaimed Property Unit
1101 4th Street, SW, Suite W800-B
Washington, DC 20024
- The Unclaimed Property Unit will carefully review and compare the information with the reporting institution(s). You will be notified if additional information is required.
- Once the Unclaimed Property Unit establishes ownership, the claim will be paid and/or the property released.
All claims are generally processed and paid within 30 days of receipt of all requested evidence. Some claims involving minerals/royalties, stock, inheritance, or other complex issues may take longer.
NOTE: For security purposes, appointments are required. To make an appointment to meet with an unclaimed property specialist and/or to drop off documents, please call 202-442-8181.